Green Star of Interior Alaska is seeking a motivated person to fill our Executive Director position.
Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for leading the overall strategic direction and operation of Green Star of Interior Alaska (Green Star). The ED oversees all staff, programs and expansion, and ensures alignment with Green Star’s mission to encourage and enable our community to reduce waste and increase recycling. The ED will be expected to develop deep knowledge of Green Star’s core programs, operations, and business plans.
The ED will ensure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff. Carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations in a timely manner.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in local recycling efforts and green business practices.
$37,500 – $45,000 depending on experience. Exempt | Part-Time
Fundraising & Communications (50%)
- Cultivate Green Star revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing and expanding operations. Write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization.
- Work with staff and the Board to prepare a comprehensive budget. Develop and implement comprehensive marketing and public relations strategy to create a strong Green Star brand.
- Expand existing donor network. Create new opportunities and new partnerships with individuals, businesses and community organizations.
- Represent Green Star to communicate the work and mission to agencies, businesses, the general public, and supporters. Act as the premier public representative to supporting organizations and donors.
Growth & Development (20%)
- Develop strategies and tactics in the areas of Finance, Revenue, Communications and Marketing to achieve Green Star expansion goals along with recommended timelines and resources required to accomplish them.
- Design Green Star regional expansion and complete the business planning process.
Leadership & Management (30%)
- Ensure program excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance administration, fundraising, and communications.
- Responsible for the recruitment and employment of paid and volunteer staff.
- Executes performance plan and evaluation of all Green Star paid employees to encourage growth in their knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Utilize sound HR practices ensuring staff recruitment and retention processes are in place for paid and volunteer staff.
- Assist staff in meeting strategic initiatives. Supports staff in executing fundraising and marketing efforts.
- Engage and energize Green Star board members, event committees, volunteers, partners and funders.
- Develop, maintain and support a strong Board of Directors. Serve on each board-led committee. Seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing local operations and for regional initiatives.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree with well-rounded professional experience. Track record of increasing responsibility within local and/or regional nonprofit organizations. • Preferred: 3 years of senior management experience and familiarity with Bloomerang.
- Competence with Quickbooks required.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to manage and develop high performance teams.
- Set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a $200,000 budget.
- Strong marketing and public relations experience. Persuasive and passionate, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Demonstrated ability of fundraising for a nonprofit organization, especially with direct person-to-person or person-to-organization contact.
- Current Driver’s license and use of personal vehicle to attend meeting and errands (mileage reimbursed).
- Reliability, Trustworthiness, and Honesty.
- Strategic thinking and strategy development.
- Business development through partnership formation.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional presentation and communication skills.
- Fundraising proficiency. Working Conditions:
- Perform tasks while sitting, standing and walking.
- Will occasionally be required to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Required to work with the public including public speaking for audiences of several hundred.
- Determine and manage multiple priorities.
- Required to have attention to detail.
- Travel required to support specific events and fundraising efforts (approximately 10%).
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work and are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Board President Andrea Miller: email@example.com or P.O. Box 82391, Fairbanks, AK 99708.